Saturday, January 30, 2010

Friday

Being an elderly person has its benefits (though I am not sure what they are), but I was taught an invaluable lesson on the problems associated with old age. This happened during my time with my friend, whose grandparents are some of the strangest old people I know.

The grandmother, living here for most of her life, grew up in England with an accent to prove it. She supposedly has improved her speech over time, though her R's and some other sentences should be revised. (I'm a wee bit troubled at wheh we ah deary).

The grandfather can always be seen with a glass of wine, and a story from when he was in the war. Where late one night, a sugar-beet field was hit by a mortar near their base. He received his only wound in the war by getting hit in the helmet with a sugar-beet, knocked him out.

One conversation with his grandparents included the grandfather asking me my age (simple enough question), where my friend yelled out that I was 15 (clearly I am not). Being known for lying about these things, the grandmother called my friend a "bloody liah." I finally corrected that I am currently 20 years old, where the grandfather replied "So you're of age." Falling back on stupidity in these awkward situations, I replied that I couldn't legally drink for a little bit. This is where the grandmother jumped in again, "nah, the age is 18. 18 for the boys and 21 for the guhls." The grandfather responded, "That wouldn't make any sense, the girls should come before the boys if anything." Then I fell into silence, and the grandfather went into his sugar-beet story again.

I have determined after meeting them, that I will never get older than I am now (maybe 21). I think this can be accomplished through will power.

No comments:

Post a Comment